[xsl] WARNING org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The child axis starting at a text node will never select anything

Subject: [xsl] WARNING org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The child axis starting at a text node will never select anything
From: "Kulas, Jack jkulas@xxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 19:15:17 -0000
I was getting the following warning when I'd run a transformation within
Arbortext Editor 6.1-F000, which uses the Saxon 9.1.0.5 XSLT transformation
engine:

WARNING org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The child axis starting at a text node
will never select anything

When I replaced this template

    <xsl:template match="text()" mode="func">
       <xsl:value-of select="."/>
        <xsl:apply-templates mode="func"/>
    </xsl:template>

with this one

    <xsl:template match="*" mode="func">
        <xsl:apply-templates mode="func"/>
    </xsl:template>

the warning went away.

I get the exact same (correct!) output in either case, so I'm wondering what
the warning means.

In case it matters, there are two other "func" mode templates that match
specific element-attribute combinations.

<xsl:template match="change[@change='delete'] | sub-change[@change='delete']"
mode="func"/>

<xsl:template match="change[@change='add']" mode="func">
        <xsl:apply-templates mode="func"/>
   </xsl:template>

--Jack Kulas
LSI, Inc
Jacksonville, FL

Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are proprietary and
may contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this
message to another party without gaining permission from the sender. If you
are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email
or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us. If
you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately,
and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this material
is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to
minimize the risk. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the
views of LSI.