Re: [xsl] FOP : consumption memory

Subject: Re: [xsl] FOP : consumption memory
From: "Peter West lists@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 02:05:06 -0000
Whatever works for you.

There's a big difference between an application that implements a very thorny
spec like XSL (the FO bit), and something that is designed for a limited
objective - see John's post.

If you need to render XSL-FO files, though, you will need something that can
handle them.

The memory requirement arises from 1) a naive application of the XSL spec, and
the way it defines (or defined, I haven't kept up) the process of rendering,
and 2) the possibility of back and forward references in the file.

#2 will always present problems, but aside from that, implementing a renderer
as a stack of active components, rather than as a tree of areas, offers the
possibility of a "moving window" implementation which would greatly reduce
memory requirements.  Sounds easy if you say it quickly.

Peter West

"Is not this the carpenter's son?"

On 16 Aug 2014, at 4:26 am, Jean-Pierre Lamon jpl@xxxxxxxxxx