Re: [xsl] Parse a date - exslt:parse-date in Saxon 6

Subject: Re: [xsl] Parse a date - exslt:parse-date in Saxon 6
From: "Kerry, Richard richard.kerry@xxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 10:45:36 -0000
(** trying not to top-post but Outlook Web Access doesn't help ....)

I'm doing DocBook transformations using Saxon 6.

Have you looked at moving forward? I know Docbook has some dependencies on
Saxon 6 extensions, but there is an XSLT 2.0 version available somewhere.

** A while ago I enquired about this on the DocBook list and was given to
believe the XSLT2 version was not complete.  It wasn't clear in which ways but
I'd rather work with a system that "just works" or at least is the reference
implementation so will get fixed if faults are reported and accurate advice is
available via the mailing list.  (And this isn't sufficiently core to my work
to want to spend time getting involved in debugging the XSLT2 version)
** The particular area where the question arose was Saxon's extension used to
write separate output files.  I know XSLT2 can do this out of the box but
XSLT1 needs extensions, and all the "chunked" output methods need it.

I can see that a suitable parser function (parse-date) is defined in Exslt but
it isn't clear whether it is already available to me or how to get it into use
if not.  Actually according to the exslt documentation it is definitely not
available in any XSLT processor but there are JavaScript and Msxsl
implementations available.

I don't believe this extension has been implemented.

** My conclusion too.  Hence my eventually writing something in XSL.

Can someone advise how I can get this to work ?

Can I get Saxon 6 to call a JavaScript function ?

No, but you can write it in Java.

** That'd mean learning Java, getting set up with development tools, learning
how to get Saxon to call extensions, etc.  Of course as a C++ programmer Java
would seem to be very similar, so the language itself should be easy to learn
(ducks to avoid the flak ....).
** Regards, Richard.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

EasyUnsubscribe<-list/2528992> (by email<>)
Atos, Atos Consulting, Worldline and Canopy The Open Cloud Company are trading
names used by the Atos group. The following trading entities are registered in
England and Wales: Atos IT Services UK Limited (registered number 01245534),
Atos Consulting Limited (registered number 04312380), Atos Worldline UK
Limited (registered number 08514184) and Canopy The Open Cloud Company Limited
(registration number 08011902). The registered office for each is at 4 Triton
Square, Regentbs Place, London, NW1 3HG.The VAT No. for each is:
GB232327983.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely
for the addressee, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If
you receive this e-mail in error, you are not authorised to copy, disclose,
use or retain it. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email
from your systems. As emails may be intercepted, amended or lost, they are not
secure. Atos therefore can accept no liability for any errors or their
content. Although Atos endeavours to maintain a virus-free network, we do not
warrant that this transmission is virus-free and can accept no liability for
any damages resulting from any virus transmitted. The risks are deemed to be
accepted by everyone who communicates with Atos by email.