Re: [xsl] Template-matching nodes from input vs nodes in variable based on their position

Subject: Re: [xsl] Template-matching nodes from input vs nodes in variable based on their position
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:34:46 -0000
At 2015-06-18 15:59 +0000, Jorge . chocolate.camera@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx
> Sorry, I forgot one detail, if you want to have an "as" attribute spelled
> out then you need to write it as
>
>         <xsl:variable name="FOO" as="document-node()">
>           <xsl:document>
>
>           </xsl:document>
>         </xsl:variable>

Doing so works even if leaving `<xsl:apply-templates select="$FOO"/>`
intact, instead of rewriting the match to `$FOO/*`.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the meaning of the answers,

Perhaps the variable representation diagram on page 223 of my XSLT book will help (it is available for free download on a "try and buy" basis at http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/#ptux ... if you decide not to pay for the book, please delete the copy that you download for free).

It shows the different structures one gets with
the different types of declaration of a variable.

I hope it helps.

-- Check our site for free XML, XSLT, XSL-FO and UBL developer resources | Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/video.htm | Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ | G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Google+ profile: http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/about | Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |