[xsl] Table structure checking, how?

Subject: [xsl] Table structure checking, how?
From: "Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 08:37:38 -0000
Hi folks,

We came across a CALS table with a "missing" cell in the first row, like
this:

<tgroup cols="2">
  <tbody>
    <row>
      <!-- MISSING second column cell -->
    </row>
    <row>
      <!-- skipped first cell because of morerows -->
    </row>
  </tbody>
</tgroup>

This table is technically valid, but creates problems when processed further.

Are you aware of a tool or method to check that the table data is correct
regarding any available colspan or rowspan definitions? I fear there is no way
to have that checked using just e.g. XPath.

My next step would be to look at Andrew Welch's table normalizer, which I have
used in a number of projects. It is currently based on the assumption that the
first row of a table is complete (after expanding any colspan definitions).

http://andrewjwelch.com/code/xslt/table/table-normalization.html

Any hints are very welcome,

- Michael