Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook

Subject: Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook
From: "Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 17:06:14 -0000
Therebs no inherent reason CSS pagination has to be mediocre.

My observation is itbs another case of simply not having enough resources
available to get the work done. I personally would love to contribute but
somebody would have to pay for my time and I donbt see anybody offering to
do that.

The people doing the CSS pagination work are doing their best but itbs just
a handful of people trying to work within a larger working group that is
actively hostile to any features that would make in-browser rendering harder.

I know Liam is frustrated with the lack of support from industry and user
communities who definitely need for CSS pagination to be solid and generally
available, as am I.

Itbs also a problem that therebs currently no sufficiently-complete or
stable pure open-source implementation of CSS pagination, something comparable
to Apache FOP (or better).

Unfortunately, individual publishers can pay for the sort of thing Ibm doing
for my client and that companies like ObReilly have done for themselves and
make the current tools work well enough for them. But that doesnbt translate
into value for the larger community, beyond a bit of feedback on the current
specs (Ibve submitted a couple of issues against the pagination specs based
on my current work but that doesnbt mean anyone will ever act on them).

Cheers,

E.

--

Eliot Kimber