Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook

Subject: Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 19:02:13 -0000
<mailto:ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx> <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> Therebs no inherent reason CSS pagination has to be mediocre.
>
> My observation is itbs another case of simply not having enough resources
available to get the work done.

I think you've just given the inherent reason. Getting the resources to do a
high quality job for people with high-end requirements requires significant
investment. Getting the resources to do a mediocre job (by which I mean, to
satisfy the needs of those who aren't very fussy) is much easier.

(I wasn't trying to suggest there's any architectural problem with a CSS-based
solution. Just that the economics always favours meeting the 50% of the
requirements that are enough to satisfy 90% of the users, and stopping
there.)

Michael Kay
Saxonica