Re: [xsl] Better "Report Map" Function?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Better "Report Map" Function?
From: "Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:24:26 -0000
Now that I look at my code again I think the lack of return type was in
intentional in that I was trying to have both the overall map data shown as
well as get the Saxon element serialization when outside of a "value-of"
context. But now I realize that the way I've used it is usually in
"{local:report-map($map)}", which of course undoes that. Hmph. But setting the
return type to xs:string without doing more with element() values would be
bad.

Cheers,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

o;?On 10/6/18, 10:10 AM, "Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx"

    You're right, I failed to set a return type (which I would normally always
do). The intent is definitely to return a string.

    I haven't tried to make it 100% general at this point since this was
something I hacked quickly in the context of debugging other code.

    I will correct the key sorting--I knew assuming the keys were strings was
not sufficient but all the maps in my current projects only use string keys.

    For handling the possible entry values, I was pretty much just adding
handlers as I needed them. For example, using this on the result of Saxon's
collection() extensions that return maps of file information made it clear
that I needed an "other" category...

    Cheers,

    Eliot

    --
    Eliot Kimber
    http://contrext.com

    o;?On 10/6/18, 9:49 AM, "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx"

        I wonder if this is really what you want?

        You haven't declared a return type for the function, so there's going
to be no conversion applied, which means it's going to output a sequence of
interspersed text and element nodes. That's probably fine if the function call
always appears within xsl:value-of, but it's not very convenient if, for
example, you want to call it as an argument of contains() or substring(). I
would have thought a function that returned a string would be more useful.

        And a function that only handles map values that are maps, elements,
document nodes, single strings, single booleans, or single integers doesn't
feel very general-purpose.

        But you're right that there's probably nothing off-the-shelf that
gives you exactly what you want. For many purposes (e.g. diagnostic output)
the serialize() function with method=adaptive will be adequate, but if you
want something better then you have to do it yourself.

        Incidentally, sorting the keys of a map like this will fail if the
keys include non-ordered values such as QNames, of if they include a mixture
of strings and numbers. If you want to be sure the sort won't fail, convert
keys to strings before sorting.

        Michael Kay
        Saxonica

        > On 6 Oct 2018, at 14:33, Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        >
        > I needed a way to report the contents of maps as nicely-formatted
strings using XSLT 3 and Saxon (Saxon's built-in serialization of maps did not
really satisfy me).

        > Here's my solution:
        >
        >  <xsl:function name="local:report-map">
        >    <xsl:param name="map" as="map(*)"/>
        >    <xsl:param name="level" as="xs:integer"/>
        >
        >    <xsl:variable name="indent" as="xs:string?"
        >      select="(for $i in 1 to $level return '  ') => string-join()"
        >    />
        >    <xsl:text>&#x0a;{$indent}{{</xsl:text>
        >    <xsl:for-each select="map:keys($map) => sort()">
        >      <xsl:variable name="key" select="."/>
        >      <xsl:variable name="value" select="map:get($map, $key)"/>
        >      <xsl:text>&#x0a;{$indent}  "{$key}" : </xsl:text>
        >      <xsl:choose>
        >        <xsl:when test="$value instance of map(*)">
        >          <xsl:text> Map:</xsl:text>
        >          <xsl:sequence select="local:report-map($value, $level +
3)"/>
        >        </xsl:when>
        >        <xsl:when test="$value instance of element()">
        >          <xsl:sequence select="$value"/>
        >        </xsl:when>
        >        <xsl:when test="$value instance of document-node()">
        >          <xsl:text> document-node(): {name($value/*)} -
"{document-uri($value)}"</xsl:text>
        >        </xsl:when>
        >        <xsl:when test="$value instance of xs:string or $value
instance of xs:boolean or $value instance of xs:integer">
        >          <xsl:text>"{$value}"</xsl:text>
        >        </xsl:when>
        >        <xsl:otherwise>
        >          <xsl:text>unhandled value</xsl:text>
        >        </xsl:otherwise>
        >      </xsl:choose>
        >    </xsl:for-each>
        >    <xsl:text>&#x0a;{$indent}}}</xsl:text>
        >  </xsl:function>
        >
        > Which produces output like this:
        >
        > {
        >   "baseType" : "map"
        >   "doc" :  document-node(): map -
"file:/Users/ekimber/workspace/paccar/repo/paccar/sample_data/test-project/ca
libration-data/MX11_NA/calibrationSLMP_MX11_NA.ditamap"
        >   "engineFamilies" : "10.8M01"
        >   "key" : ""
        >   "relpath" :
"calibration-data/MX11_NA/calibrationSLMP_MX11_NA.ditamap"
        >   "type" : "map"
        > }
        >
        > I'm happy with the result but wondering if there's not a more
efficient/cleaner/more elegant way to do the same thing?