Re: [xsl] A use-case for xsl:merge?

Subject: Re: [xsl] A use-case for xsl:merge?
From: "Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:54:44 -0000
Am 15.02.2019 um 23:53 schrieb John Dziurlaj john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> This is very helpful! I've tested it and it seems to work well, with the
> exception of CDATA. The output does not include the CDATA for <text>, which
> should be <text>This is some text</text>. I put this above
> <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="merge-attributes"> and it seems to
> work:
> <xsl:value-of select="text()" />

I think I would prefer to delegate that to a added template with a
different condition:

 B B B  <xsl:template match="*[not(*)]" mode="merge-children">
 B B B B B B B  <xsl:param name="prototype"/>
 B B B B B B B  <xsl:copy-of
 B B B B B B B B B B B B  select="if (node()) then node() else $prototype/node()"/>
 B B B  </xsl:template>

> I guess I was fooled by the name of xsl:merge, it seems to be for merging
> sequences rather than content within sequences.

It can merge "content" but the main obstacle with your task to be seemed
to be the lack of order of the possible child elements, if you group
elements on node-name() as I have done then you don't need them ordered,
for xsl:merge to work you would need to have them ordered or would need
to first order them, see
https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#merge-terminology wich defines

A*merge input sequence*is an arbitrarysequence
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel-30/#dt-sequence>^DM30 of items
which is already sorted according to themerge key specification
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#dt-merge-key-specification>for the
correspondingmerge source definition
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#dt-merge-source-definition>.