[xsl] [ANN] Call for Participation: Symposium on Markup Vocabulary Customization

Subject: [xsl] [ANN] Call for Participation: Symposium on Markup Vocabulary Customization
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 20:28:42 -0000
Markup Vocabulary Customization
a Balisage pre-conference symposium
Monday 29 July 2019
Cambria Hotel, Rockville, Maryland
Chair: Syd Bauman, Northeastern University

THE SYMPOSIUM

Many shared XML vocabularies (tag sets) are built to be customized. That is,
users are provided with a vocabulary, a grammar, and some documentation
describing how to customize the vocabulary. Various aspects of any or all of
these may be modifiable by the user.

This symposium will examine various customization mechanisms and their
ecosystems. How are structures added/subtracted/changed? Are customization
tools provided? Is there support for documenting customizations? How does a
user know which customizations would bbreak" the tool or vocabulary? Can you
easily compare a customization to the base vocabulary? To another
customization?

Details at: https://www.balisage.net/VocabularyCustomization/

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

If you have experience with customization of a shared vocabulary, whether as a
user, creator, sponsor, or someone who has to write software to support it,
webre interested in hearing from you!

What sorts of customizations should we discuss?

We hope to find out how several vocabularies accommodate customization, with
examples. Are customizations such as name changes, tighter versions of the
schema, added elements, etc., of interest to you? Are there any other types of
customizations you might like to see of TEI, JATS, DITA, DocBook, or another
customizable vocabulary? Send email about what vocabulary customizations you
want discussed to info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Contribute a short paper! Topics might include, but are not limited to:

* case presentations: project descriptions and/or war stories
* opinions on what should (or should not) be customizable and why
* theoretical examination of customizations: when is customization useful?
When has a system been customized so much it is instead
a different system?
* utilitarian consideration of customizations: does a customization have to be
shared to be useful?
* practical examination of tools designed to handle both vanilla and
customized input

Details at: https://www.balisage.net/VocabularyCustomization/CFP.html

HELP
Just ask. Send e-mail to info@xxxxxxxxxxxx for help, advice, or encouragement
about a symposium submission. Wonder if your idea will fit in at this
symposium? Ask us! Need help making your paper or proposal into XML as
required for submission? Speak up; webll find someone to help. The only
thing we wonbt do is customize our schema[1] for you. :-)

Dates
-----
12 April 2019 b Paper submissions due
13 May 2019 b Speakers notified
12 July 2019 b Final papers due
29 July 2019 b Pre-conference Symposium on Markup Vocabulary Customization
30 July b 2 August 2019 b Balisage: The Markup Conference
         https://www.balisage.net/

How
---
Submit proposals (either roughly 350-word abstracts, or short papers) in XML
to info@xxxxxxxxxxxx See the pages Instructions for Authors
(https://www.balisage.net/authorinstructions.html) and Tag Set and Submission
Guidelines (https://www.balisage.net/submissions.html) for details.

[1] Our schema (https://www.balisage.net/tagset.html) is itself a strict
subset of Docbook V5, and is carved in stone. Itbs hard enough to put
together a conference when everyone uses the same schema, we donbt want to
even imagine it with twenty variations thereof.

Balisage: The Markup Conference 2019          mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxx
July 30 - August 2, 2019                      https://www.balisage.net
Preconference Symposium: July 29, 2019                 +1 301 315 9631