Re: [xsl] case conversion with replace() (i.e., with a regular expression)

Subject: Re: [xsl] case conversion with replace() (i.e., with a regular expression)
From: "Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 21:54:23 -0000
On 26.07.2020 23:34, Wolfhart Totschnig wolfhart.totschnig@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

I need to convert the first character of a string from lower-case to
upper-case. I know that I can do so with the following code:

concat(upper-case(substring(.,1,1)),substring(.,2))

I was wondering whether it can also be done with the replace() function,
i.e., with a regular expression. I found out that some regular
expression versions have the command \u for that. So I tried the following:

replace(.,'^(.)','\u$1')

But this produces an error with Saxon ("FORX0004: Invalid replacement
string in replace(): \ character must be followed by \ or $"). Does this
mean that case conversion is not available in the regular expression
version implemented in XSLT? Or did I get the code wrong?

It is not supported as far as I know, if you really want to break up the string with a regular expression then in XPath/XSLT 3 you can use fn:analyze-string

('abc' => analyze-string('^(.)'))!(upper-case(*:match) || *:non-match)

although for that simple example of identifying the first character that
looks rather convoluted to me.