[xsl] problem with transforming mixed content

Subject: [xsl] problem with transforming mixed content
From: "Wolfhart Totschnig wolfhart.totschnig@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 02:15:57 -0000
Dear list,

I would like to ask for your help with the following mixed-content problem. I am receiving, from an external source, data in the following form:

What I would like to do is
1) separate the title from the subtitle (i.e., divide the data at the colon) and put each in a separate element node;
2) all the while maintaining the <i> markup;
3) and perform certain string manipulations on all of the text nodes; for the purposes of this post, I will use the example of converting upper-case to lower-case.

So the desired output is the following:

How can this be done?

I know that I can perform string manipulations while maintaining the <i> markup with templates, i.e., <xsl:template match="text()"/> and <xsl:template match="i"/>. But in this case I do not know how to divide the data at the colon. And I know that I can divide the data at the colon with <xsl:value-of select="substring-before(.,': ')"/>, but then I loose the <i> markup. So I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Wolfhart