Re: [xsl] Analyze-string Regex to Match Content within Curly Braces

Subject: Re: [xsl] Analyze-string Regex to Match Content within Curly Braces
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 13:43:37 -0000
Curly braces are special in AVTs and they are special in regexes.

To cope with the specialness in AVTs, double them,

To cope with the specialness in regexes, backslash-escape them.

So regex = "\{{[a-z]+\}}"

should do the trick; or as Martin suggests, remove the AVT problem by using a
variable (making sure you have expand-text="no")

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 17 Nov 2020, at 12:43, Don Smith dsmith_lockesmith@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Once again I find myself at a loss when trying to write a regex in
analyze-string that matches on an open/close curly brace combination. I'm
using XSLT 2.0 and Saxon PE-9.6.0.7.

> Here's an example of the text content:
>
> <text>In the be{opthyphen}gin{opthyphen}ning</text>
>
> I need to match all occurrences (none nested) of an open and close curly
brace with the text that occurs in-between.

> I started with this successful regex in a non-XSLT context:
>
> {[a-z]+}
>
> Then because the analyze-string @regex is an AVT I double the curly braces:

> thus:
>
> <xsl:analyze-string select="$content" regex="{{[a-z]+}}" >
>
> That produces the compile error "Syntax error at char 0 in regular
expression. No expression before quantifier". I've tried everything I can
think of in terms of using escapes, etc. I've also tried defining the regex as
a variable and then referencing it from @regex. But I'm just missing something
in the regex itself (I think). All help is appreciated.