Re: [xsl] Analyze-string Regex to Match Content within Curly Braces

Subject: Re: [xsl] Analyze-string Regex to Match Content within Curly Braces
From: "David Carlisle d.p.carlisle@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 14:10:20 -0000
On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 13:57, Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <

> A suggestion that I've thought about from time to time:
>
> If an attribute in XSLT expects an expression or an AVT, then a leading
> undoubled "}" in the attribute value indicates that is to be treated as a
> plain string.
>
> So for an expression
>
> <xsl:param name="x" select="}O'Reilly"/>
>
> indicates that the default value is the string "O'Reilly"
>
> and in an AVT
>
> regex="}[a-z]{4}"
>
> indicates that the regex is [a-z]{4}
>
> This relies on the fact that neither an AVT nor an expression can legally
> begin with an undoubled "}", nor is it ever likely to. And you can think of
> "}" as meaning "exit expression mode, here is plain text".
>
> Nice idea, or just too quirky?

The latter?

I think it's a bit hard to read and likely to confuse syntax highlighters
and editor bracket matching (fixable in theory but..)

however your earlier comment

> (making sure you have expand-text="no")

made me think, couldn't the analyze-string  (and other elements) have an
interpret-attributes-as-avt="no" attribute (perhaps not that name) which
removed the AVT processing?

David