Re: [xsl] [Ann] Oxygen XML Editor version 23 release

Subject: Re: [xsl] [Ann] Oxygen XML Editor version 23 release
From: "B Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 17:32:23 -0000
> On Nov 23, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>> I don't see what is unfortunate about people using XSLT 1.0. I don't see
why people dislike the fact that others are using it.

> You're building up technical debt. The concept here is that you can spend $N
every year on updating and refreshing the technology you are using, or you can
depreciate your asset by $M per year if you don't, and you need to assess
whether $N exceeds $M.

> The depreciation you apply depends on whether you're doing any ongoing
development. If you are, then you should factor in that moving to new
technology will reduce those development costs.

> If you want you can also factor in risk (how exposed are you to some major
discontinuity that stops the whole thing working, e.g. a security
vulnerability), support costs (is there anyone who still knows this stuff?),
and staff retention (can you find good people who are prepared to work with
old technology).

> So it's not a question of like or dislike, fun or no fun, it's a question of
economics, of minimising the lifetime costs of your system. Of course, the
calculations will come out differently for different projects.

I agree. But it is also a question of timing. The time for an organization to
upgrade should be up to the users, not to the vendors of their tools.

AND, there are things tool vendors can to do make updating easier. For
example, providing guidance on how to "fix" things that "break" in such an
upgrade. If a capability is removed from a product, even if for very good
reason, guidance on how to modify applications that used that capability, are
welcome. Removing capabilities without explicitly providing such guidance
creates anxiety, ill will, and fear.

-- Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin
mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
https://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street
Phone: 301/315-9631
Suite 207
Direct Line: 301/315-9634
Rockville, MD  20850
Fax: 301/315-8285
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML for Prose Documents