Re: [xsl] Add element at the end of a variable group of elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Add element at the end of a variable group of elements
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 00:12:12 -0000
I would approach this as a grouping issue and not a matching issue.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . Ken

~/t/ftemp $ cat charles.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
   <foo/>
   <bar/>
   <mercury/>
   <venus/>
   <earth earth-type="round"/>
   <earth earth-type="flat"/>
   <mars/>
</root>
~/t/ftemp $ xslt2 charles.xml charles.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
   <foo/>
   <bar/>
   <mercury/>
   <venus/>
   <moon>Now with more craters!</moon>
   <earth earth-type="round"/>
   <earth earth-type="flat"/>
   <mars/>
</root>
~/t/ftemp $ cat charles.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  exclude-result-prefixes="xsd"
  version="2.0">

<xsl:output indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="root">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:for-each-group select="*"
                        group-adjacent="self::earth or self::mars">
      <xsl:if test="xsd:boolean(current-grouping-key())">
        <moon>Now with more craters!</moon>
      </xsl:if>
      <xsl:copy-of select="current-group()"/>
    </xsl:for-each-group>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
~/t/ftemp $ cat charles2.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
   <foo/>
   <bar/>
   <mercury/>
   <venus/>
   <mars/>
</root>
~/t/ftemp $ xslt2 charles2.xml charles.xsl