[xsl] for vs. for-each

Subject: [xsl] for vs. for-each
From: "Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 18:04:21 -0000
Folks,

Given a variable with a sequence of values

<xsl:variable name="values" select="(1,2,3,4,5)" as="xs:double+"/>

these are three methods to report its content:

<xsl:sequence select="for $i in 1 to count($values) return $values[$i]"/>

<xsl:for-each select="1 to count($values)">
    <xsl:sequence select="$values[.]"/>
</xsl:for-each>

<xsl:for-each select="1 to count($values)">
    <xsl:sequence select="$values[current()]"/>
</xsl:for-each>

The first works as expected, the second does not, but the third astonishingly
enough gives me the same result as the first. Check it out:

https://xsltfiddle.liberty-development.net/ei5R4v8/2

I read/understand that there is a difference between a for expression and a
path expression, but since we can use atomized values in xsl:for-each, I would
like to see more similarity between for and for-each.

Should this be on the wishlist for XSLT 4 or do I have to learn/understand
some more concepts?

Puzzled greeting,

- Michael