Re: [xsl] for vs. for-each

Subject: Re: [xsl] for vs. for-each
From: "Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 19:48:32 -0000
On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 11:55 AM Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <

>  For 4.0, however, I would like to see better ways of accessing items in a
> sequence by position, and there has been much discussion about how best to
> achiieve this.

Yes, we already do have the index-of() function, but we need a reverse to
this:

from-indexes($vSeq, $vIndexes)

and this would produce a sequence with items each of which is the item of
$vSeq at position the value of the $index-value in $vIndexes, when
$index-value iterates over $vIndexes, ot more strictly:

     for $ind in $vIndexes
       return $vSeq[$ind]

Why reverse of index-of() ?

Because, for any $x in $vSeq it is true that

     from-indexes($vSeq, index-of($vSeq, $x))

is a sequence containing all $x items from $vSeq.

Or:

     $x eq distinct-values( from-indexes($vSeq, index-of($vSeq, $x)) )

Or if we had sets in XPath, then:

     set {$x} === set { from-indexes($vSeq, index-of($vSeq, $x)) }

And this can also be written as:

     set {$x}  ===  set { $vSeq => from-indexes( $vSeq => index-of($x)) }

There is even this proposal for an operator notation for the from-indexes()
function, but individual preferences at present seem to vary too much in
order to choose such an operator:

https://github.com/qt4cg/qtspecs/issues/50

Thanks,
Dimitre