[xsl] XQuery/XPath 3.1: Node List to Node Set ("distinct nodes")

Subject: [xsl] XQuery/XPath 3.1: Node List to Node Set ("distinct nodes")
From: "Eliot Kimber eliot.kimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 19:09:50 -0000
I couldnt find an answer in my google and markmail searching so I thought Id
ask here:

Given an arbitrary list of nodes that may contain duplicates, what is the most
efficient way to reduce the node list to a set?

The solution I came up with is a recursive function:

(:
Get the unique nodes from the supplied sequence
@param nodes The sequence of nodes to evaluate
@return A sequence of nodes such that each node in $nodes exists exactly
once.
:)
declare function dutils:distinctNodes($nodes as node()*) as node()* {
  dutils:_getDistinctNodes($nodes, ())
};

declare function dutils:_getDistinctNodes($nodes as node()*, $resultList as
node()*) as node()* {
  if (exists($nodes))
  then
  let $node := head($nodes)
  return dutils:_getDistinctNodes(tail($nodes), ($resultList | $node))
  else $resultList

};

Which works but I feel like Im missing some obvious way to do this more
directly, but Im not seeing it.

Am I missing a better solution?

Thanks,

Eliot