Re: [xsl] Resolve optional conref and apply another template

Subject: Re: [xsl] Resolve optional conref and apply another template
From: "Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 22:49:57 -0000
On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 10:36:38PM -0000, rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx scripsit:
[snip]
> I am not sure how to integrate the two templates so that I can convert
> conref notes to tables too. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank
> you very much.

Generally speaking, when converting from an archival XML format to a
published representation, you'll have a regularization pass, a merge
pass, a processing pass, and a rendering pass. (Each of which might have
multiple stages!)

Conrefs should resolve in the merge pass.

Turning some notes into simple tables should happen in the processing
pass, so that template shouldn't ever see a conref.

Alternatively, if you're not using XSLT 1, you can resolve the conref
into a variable and apply-templates to the contents of the variable.
The problem with this approach is that it becomes a cruelty to
future-you, or anybody else who has to maintain the code.

--
Graydon Saunders  | graydonish@xxxxxxxxx
^fs oferiode, pisses swa mfg.