Re: [xsl] Need some Advice

Subject: Re: [xsl] Need some Advice
From: "Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 01:39:01 -0000
> the clients are bound with XSLT1.0 and XSLT 2.0 does not work.

If they hired you to "make XSLT 2.0 work", then they should give you time
and space to do this, otherwise this whole job is pointless. Certainly, if
they are actively undermining your effort, this raises red lights.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that 99% of the existing XSLT 1.0
transformations continue to work as intended under XSLT 2.0. So, if they
have problems with this, the reason is probably that their "XSLT 1.0" code
is not even XSLT 1.0 - compliant.XSLT 2.0 was designed to support backwards
compatibility with XSLT 1.0, and there are just minor exceptions of this
rules where new features may break compatibility.

If this whole contract hiring was just a gesture and a political maneuver
to convince someone that "this cannot be done", this stinks of politics
from miles, and based on my own experience I know that politics is the
worst interference that a developer may be hurt with -- so they simply
don't deserve to have a normal, thinking person clean their  crap.

I have lived in Australia in the past and doubt that there is only a single
company that may need a knowledgeable XSLT developer. Also, due to Covid
most companies have realized the benefits of remote work, so distances such
as thousands of kilometers/miles are no longer an obstacle for hiring.

A possible compromise that would also be a face-saving one, is reaching
agreement for a complete rewrite of their crap (sorry, ver. 1 code :) ). In
many similar cases a complete rewrite from scratch would be much faster and
painless than the nearly impossible task of turning junk into something
useful.

Cheers,
Dimitre

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
Never fight an inanimate object
-------------------------------------
biggest mistake of all
------------------------------------
you're doing is work or play
Typing monkeys will write all Shakespeare's works in 200yrs.Will they write
all patents, too? :)
Sanity is madness put to good use.