[xsl] Pattern-directed programming using XSLT

Subject: [xsl] Pattern-directed programming using XSLT
From: "Roger L Costello costello@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 10:57:15 -0000
Hi Folks,

Page 83 of the dragon compiler book [1] says:

"The techniques used to implement lexical analyzers can also be applied to
other areas such as query languages and information retrieval systems. In each
application, the underlying problem is the specification and design of
programs that execute actions triggered by patterns in strings. Since
pattern-directed programming is widely useful, we introduce a pattern-action
language called Lex for specifying lexical analyzers."

As I read that, it occurred to me, "Hey, when I implement XSLT programs using
template rules, I am doing pattern-directed programming! XSLT is a
pattern-action language!"

Neat!

/Roger

[1] "Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools" by Aho, Sethi, Ullman