Re: [xsl] XPath equivalent to xsl:apply-templates?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath equivalent to xsl:apply-templates?
From: "Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:40:18 -0000
On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 04:03:21AM -0000, Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx scripsit:
> So, in the general case we will have not:
>
> > local:doesThing#3@userDefined
>
> but:
>
> local:doesThing#3@userDefined1@userDefined2...@userDefinedN

I think that by analogy to arity, where concat#2 and concat#3 are
strictly speaking not the same function, we would have distinct
local:doesThing#3@userDefinedMode1 and
local:doesThing#3@userDefinedMode2 as distinct functions.

> we also will need a function:
>
>       matches-pattern($item as item(), $match-pattern as xs:string())
>
> The parameters to the function that emulates a  template need to be in two
> groups: explicit and tunnel.

Do we want to emulate a template entirely in a function or have a
function that allows XPath to either call or apply templates? I'd think
it's the later; if it's the former, that's trying to stuff template
functionality into functions as a mechanism and I don't think it will
go.  (As a distinct concern, it would also amount to deciding that XSLT
and XQuery ought to be one language and I think there are sound reasons
not to do that.)

--
Graydon Saunders  | graydonish@xxxxxxxxx
^fs oferiode, pisses swa mfg.