Re: [xsl] XSLT to populate a SAML AttributeStatement from an XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT to populate a SAML AttributeStatement from an XML
From: "Michael Kay michaelkay90@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 19:03:31 -0000
Correction, I left out the second argument to tokenize(), which in your case
should be ':'.

Michael Kay

> On 18 Jan 2023, at 18:56, Michael Kay michaelkay90@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Are you able to use XSLT 2.0+ -- that gives you a tokenize() function which
makes this far easier.

> In 2.0 it's essentially
>
> <xsl:template match="personnel/*">
>  <saml:Attribute Name="{name()}"
NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:basic">
>    <xsl:for-each select="tokenize(.)">
>       <saml:AttributeValue xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xsi:type="xsd:string"><xsl:value-of select="."/></saml:AttributeValue>

> Incidentally, there are no attributes in your input XML - it's all
elements.

> Michael Kay
> Saxonica
>

>> On 18 Jan 2023, at 17:06, ohaya ohaya@xxxxxxxxx
>>
>> [I originally sent this to the wrong email address... sorry!]
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an application where I am retrieving a number of attributes and
values from a web service, in the form of an XML file, and I want to create
and populate a SAML AttributeStatement from the attributes and values in that
XML file.  A couple of complications (to me):

>> - The attribute names in the XML file are different than the corresponding
attributes in the SAML AttributeStatement.
>> - Some of the attributes are multi-valued:  in the source XML file, the
values are a colon-separated string (e.g. ab:cd:ef), but in the
AttributeStatement, each value will be in separate <saml:Attribute> element.

>> Here's an example source XML:
>>
>> <record>
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> <adrRecord>
>>   <PN_ID>1111111</PN_ID>
>>   <personnel>
>>     <ADM_ORG_CD>urn:NORM:DEPT</ADM_ORG_CD>
>>     <DOD_ASSOC_CD>urn:NORM:V01</DOD_ASSOC_CD>
>>   </personnel>
>> </adrRecord>
>> </record>
>>
>> and the AttributeStatement I want to transform the above to is something
like:

>>   <saml:Attribute Name="MY_PN_ID"
NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:basic">
>>       <saml:AttributeValue xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xsi:type="xsd:string">1111111</saml:AttributeValue>
>>   </saml:Attribute>
>>

>>   <saml:Attribute Name="MY_ORG_CD"
NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:basic">
>>       <saml:AttributeValue xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xsi:type="xsd:string">DEPT</saml:AttributeValue>
>>       <saml:AttributeValue xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xsi:type="xsd:string">urn</saml:AttributeValue>
>>       <saml:AttributeValue xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xsi:type="xsd:string">NORM</saml:AttributeValue>
>>   </saml:Attribute>
>>

>>   <saml:Attribute Name="MY_ASSOC_CD"
NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:basic">
>>       <saml:AttributeValue xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xsi:type="xsd:string">urn</saml:AttributeValue>
>>       <saml:AttributeValue xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xsi:type="xsd:string">NORM</saml:AttributeValue>
>>       <saml:AttributeValue xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xsi:type="xsd:string">V01</saml:AttributeValue>
>>   </saml:Attribute>
>>
>> </saml:AttributeStatement>
>>
>> Can someone suggest the best approach to do this?  I actually would prefer
to have a series of transforms to do this, rather than just a single XSLT,
mainly so I can be able to see how things are working (or not working).