Re: [xsl] XSLT result tree fragment, with XSLT 3.0 and xsl:variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT result tree fragment, with XSLT 3.0 and xsl:variable
From: "Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 21:02:30 -0000
On Tue, 2023-04-11 at 17:49 +0000, Michael Kay michaelkay90@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> [The idea of "incremental" XSLT processors was, I think, that if you
> made a  small change to the source document, the XSLT processor would
> be able to  make corresponding adjustments to the result document
> without re-evaluatingB

There was an XML editor that used XSLT and XSL-FO internally - Serna
maybe?? - which i think attempted this optimization.

The idea that you can't inspect the output also lets an implementation
use a different representation, perhaps a lighter-weight one, for
result trees. E.g. you don't need to support sibling or parent axes.

But it was for sure overly onerous!

liam

--
Liam Quin,B https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/