Re: [xsl] xslt create a variable from external xml file

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt create a variable from external xml file
From: "Elisa Beshero-Bondar ebbondar@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 12:42:17 -0000
o;?Dear Phillip and all,I understand the frustration because I see this
sort of problem very frequently when working with my students. It is
difficult to explain the whole context of the problem. When working with
variables or params that store document nodes, you need to be absolutely
clear about the location of your XSLT file relative to the documents it
is reading.
I believe the problem is likely to be in the relative file path. I also
recommend Gerritbs advice to try calling the doc() function instead of
the document() node, but as I write this I confess I am not clear on the
differencebjust that I reach into external documents a lot in my work
and doc() works for me. And usually when I am not getting any results the
first thing I check is whether I gave properly understood the path from
the XSLT to the document Ibm trying to make it read. The next thing I
check is whether that document is in a namespace, because that is another
common point of failure for XSLT to read an input file. If that file is
defined on its root with xmlns="https://my.special.namespace";, you will
need to add an xpath-default-namespace to the XSLTbs root element:
xpath-default-namespace="https://my.special.namespace";
If you are reading in lots of files with multiple namespaces, XSLT needs
to know about each one. For now though, it seems to me that two likely
sources of input error are defining your file path relative to the XSLT,
and checking whether your file is defined in a namespace.
Good luckband yes, XSLT can handle documents stored in variables. You
can fix this!
Elisa
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD (she/they)Chair, TEI Technical CouncilProgram
Chair of Digital Media, Arts, and Technology | Professor of Digital
Humanities |  Director of the Digital Humanities Lab at Penn State Erie,
The Behrend College
Typeset by hand on my iPhone

  On Aug 27, 2023, at 8:08 AM, Michael Kay michaelkay90@xxxxxxxxx

  o;?

I have tried everything and Ibm unable to get the values from the
external xml file.
That's not useful information. If you tell us one thing you tried,
describe it precisely, and tell us how it failed, then we can help you
move forward.
Michael KaySaxonica

XSL-List info and archiveEasyUnsubscribe (by email) XSL-List info and
archiveEasyUnsubscribe (by email)