Re: call for input on digital rights management

Subject: Re: call for input on digital rights management
From: "Charles E. Jones" <cejo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:12:51 -0500
Forwarded at the request of the undersigned.

Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 07:51:55 -0400
From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@xxxxxxxxx>

Greetings,

I deeply appreciate Robin Cover's post to the list requesting DRM requirements and would urge the academic community to response appropriately, even given the rather short deadline for requirements (7 August 2002).

In terms of deciding to devote summer hours to this task, please consider the membership of this TC:

Hari Reddy, Chairperson ContentGuard
Carlisle Adams, Entrust
Bob Atkinson, Microsoft
Thomas DeMartini, ContentGuard
John Erickson, H.P.
Brad Gandee, Secretary ContentGuard
Bob Glushko, CommerceOne
Thomas Hardjono, Verisign
Hal Lockhart, Entegrity
M. Paramasivam, Microsoft
David Parrott, Reuters
Harry Piccariello, ContentGuard
Peter Schirling, IBM
Xin Wang, ContentGuard

While I am sure all the members of the TC will try to develop a standard that represents the interests of everyone affected by the DRM standard, I fail to see any representation of the academic, library or other communities. That is not to imply any fault on the part of the TC or OASIS, as a community academics have tended to absent themselves from such discussions.

The interests of the academic community in issues such as "fair use" and allowing free (or at least non-commercial) use of texts and research will not be well served by a standard that protects the commercial rights in the "Lion King" and similar artifacts. Our requirements are different and any standard for DRM should not attempt a one size fits all solution. I am sure that the TC would welcome academic input that would lead to a more nuanced standard that meets a wide range of needs, one of the hallmarks of a successful standard.

Note that a DRM standard will eventually find its way into hardware/software and it will be too late to complain at that point that it does not meet the needs of the academic community.

Please forward Robin's note (and my comments if you think appropriate) to anyone you know who is interested in "fair use" or more generally access to academic materials, since a DRM standard will deeply affect both issues.

Patrick

Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 06:40:20 +0100 From: Robin Cover Subject: Request for DRM Requirements

An OASIS Rights Language Technical Committee [1] has been
established to "define the industry standard for a rights
language" that would govern many application domains,
including (potentially) digital libraries and archive
projects.  The TC has is using an XrML markup language
specification from ContentGuard (Xerox and Microsoft)
as the basis for defining this common standard.

Requirements are now being collected as input to the
standard's design. A request is hereby made for input
from the academic community, (digital) libraries,
museums, archive centers [etc], including persons
affiliated with ALA or RLG.  The relevant OASIS
subcommittee will collect requirements through
August 7, 2002.

Current legislative proposals for incorporating
DRM technology and usage policies into computer
hardware, operating system software, and applications
level software raise the stakes for the humanities
community, especially as traditional notions of fair
use are being challenged as too burdensome to
implement in DRM systems.  The Creative Commons
Project [2] exemplifies the attempt of one group
to counter this trend, but the effects of a
government-mandated universal DRM technology are
of concern to a growing number of technologists [3].

Any interested party having access to DRM specifications
or implementations, or otherwise motivated to help
in the submission of 'rights management' requirements for
humanities computing applications is invited to send email
expressing this interest.

Robin Cover
robin@xxxxxxxxxx

[1] http://xml.coverpages.org/oasisRightsLanguage.html