Re: call for input on digital rights management

Subject: Re: call for input on digital rights management
From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 19:55:44 -0400
Hari,

Reddy, Hari wrote:

Hello Patrick:
A colleague of mine forwarded to me your email below that was sent to the digital-copyright list regarding the OASIS Rights Language Technical Committee ("RLTC") request for DRM Requirements. I am the Chairperson of this committee and would like to take the opportunity to respond.

<snip>

Although the RLTC did not initially receive members from the classical academic community during our open call for participation, this does not imply at all that we intend to ignore its needs. On the contrary, the charter specifically includes the need to solicit requirements from "user communities" which includes academia. In fact, a number of us came from the academic community. To support the RLTC charter, we have identified certain communities and organizations and have assigned RLTC representatives to each to act as the initial conduit for requirements. Robin Cover has volunteered to collect some of these requirements from the academic community. I invite input to be sent to Robin (_ robin@xxxxxxxxxxx) who will present the material to the Requirements Subcommittee.

I tried to make it clear that my post was not a criticism of the TC or of OASIS but a call to the academic community to express their needs. Only in the last couple of years has the SBL (Society of Biblical Literature, my employer) begun to make a systematic effort to even become aware of standards efforts, much less participate in them. With the support of the SBL, I have been actively participating in a number of standards efforts (including representing the SBL in OASIS) for some time.

I have always found OASIS and its TCs open to input from all user communities and my post was an attempt to make the task of getting broad use cases a little easier by prodding my colleagues to take a more active interest in standards.

I think the SBL will be taking an active interest in this TC and its work and hope that I will find new friends among its current participants as well as see old friends from academic circles as well.

<snip>

Finally, let me emphasize that this is not a one-time opportunity to determine academic requirements. As noted above, since the architecture supports the development of future extensions and profiles, the needs of academia (or for that matter, any other community) can be accommodated either today or at anytime in the future. This approach has the benefit of enabling efficient specification development today for areas that have defined requirements, without stranding future needs.

It is certainly the case that future needs (or needs not presently recoginized by people who have them) can be addressed by the standards process. I would not like to find, however, that standards for software defaults for digital rights management for example, were inconsistent with the sort of exchange of information that normally occurs in most academic environments.

I look forward to seeing the work being done by your TC in this important area!

Patrick

On behalf of the RLTC, I look forward to your input and support. If you have any questions with regards to the RLTC, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Hari Reddy
Chairperson
OASIS Rights Language Technical Committee
_hari.reddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Patrick Durusau Director of Research and Development Society of Biblical Literature pdurusau@xxxxxxxxx