Power of the Librarian of Congress to set fees

Subject: Power of the Librarian of Congress to set fees
From: Deg Farrelly <DEG.FARRELLY@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:47:19 -0700
One of my colleagues has sent me an article from the Washington Post which
includes this statement:

> The Washington Post
> June 25, 2002, Tuesday, Final Edition
> SECTION: METRO; Pg. B01; MARC FISHER
>
> 		    Billington approved a structure that lets traditional
> broadcast stations pay
> 		 royalties only to the writers and publishers of songs they
> play, while Web
> 		 stations must pay those fees plus extra royalties to the
> record companies and
> 		 performers of the music. Billington accepted the recording
> industry argument
> 		 that traditional radio could keep its exemption from those
> fees because airplay
> 		 promotes record sales.

He has asked me how the Librarian of Congress has such power to set fees.

Can anyone provide additional information?

Thank you.

deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Media/Communications Studies/Women's Studies
Arizona State University West
P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona    85069-7100
Phone:  602.543.8522