Is Hollywood aiming to hack only American computers?

Subject: Is Hollywood aiming to hack only American computers?
From: SDavies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:40:52 -0600
      Even the CBC website is not being clear on this point.  (cf.
http://cbc.ca/artsCanada/stories/hacking260702 )
      I am presuming the U.S. Congress is planning to enable American
copyright holders to hack American computers.
      I've never seen anything in Canada that says filesharing is wrong, or
is "piracy".  In Canada we pay a levy on all blank audiorecording materiel
(audiocassettes, CDs).  The levy is redistributed by a nonprofit
organization as royalties.  The flaw is that these royalties only go to the
most obvious (prominent) artists, but that kind of arrangement would
probably suit Hollywood just fine.
      We don't have a comparable arrangement for video, but ...
      Do other countries use this method of compensation for private
copying?

                              Stephen Davies
                       Mount Royal College, Calgary
                         mailto:SDavies@xxxxxxxxxx