reserve question

Subject: reserve question
From: "Neely, Linda G." <neely1lg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:31:01 -0400
Title: Message
I have a question about the fair-use guidelines for electronic reserves developed during the CONFU process in 1996.

One of the guidelines, under Scope of Material, states that "the total amount of material included in electronic reserve systems for a specific course as a matter of fair use should be a small proportion of the total assigned reading for a particular course."

I would be interested in learning your interpretation(s) of this guideline.

How are you interpreting "small proportion."  Are you using a certain percentage?

If "small proportion" is considered, for example, less than 50%, is it less than 50% of the total number of readings or the total number of pages or does it matter as long as we are consistent?

And are you counting textbooks the students are required to purchase as assigned readings?

Two examples:

How many articles can be placed on reserve:

- if the instructor is requiring a course pack of 20 articles and one textbook?

- if the instructor is requiring two textbooks?

Thank you for your help.

Linda Neely
Central Michigan University
Off-Campus Library Services