Re: Who Secures Rights for Reserve Items?

Subject: Re: Who Secures Rights for Reserve Items?
From: "Laurie Urquiaga" <Urquiagal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:03:37 -0600
Our preferred method of requesting permission is a letter sent to the publisher.  You can see a pdf version of the letter at http://www.law2.byu.edu/Law_Library/Access_Services/acc-copy.htm,click on option 3.  In the letter, we state that we'd like permission to use the material for the current and future semesters.  We also state at the bottom that "It is the policy of the Clark Law School to assume that continuing permission for use is granted unless a limited term of permission is specified."  When we send the letter, we include a self-addressed stamped envelope so that all the recipient has to do is sign the endorsement block and send it back.  If the return communication does not limit the use to one semester, then I assume ongoing permission unless/until notified otherwise.  So far, that's never happened.

Laureen C. Urquiaga
Associate Director for Access Services
Law School Copyright Coordinator

urquiagal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> Rosalind Tedford <tedforrl@xxxxxxx> 9/27/02 7:16:36 AM >>>
I am curious to know how academic institutions secure rights for items
placed on reserve beyond one semester.

Do you leave it to the professor, or is it done through the Dean or
other administrative department or the Library? Who provides the budget?
If you leave it to the professor, what sort of 'proof' do you require
before you will place an item on reserve a second time and what sort of
guidance to you give them about where to go to get the rights?