Privacy of EMAIL

Subject: Privacy of EMAIL
From: "Fred Gertler" <FGertler@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:01:39 -0800
Friends,

I apologize if this has been answered or is not appropriate for this list.

We are in a situation in which a staff member asserts that email sent by her
to a member of the faculty from her work computer is personal email. The staff
member voluntarily shared hard copy of this email with her supervisor, and now
contends that the supervisor cannot share that hard copy because it is
personal.

My question is: Does the supervisor have the right to share the hard copy of
this email without the employee's consent? permission? knowledge?

Thank you.

Fred Gertler
Head, Customer Services
Michel Orradre Library