Re: digital-copyright Digest 15 Nov 2002 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 104

Subject: Re: digital-copyright Digest 15 Nov 2002 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 104
From: "Stan Gardner/LI/AD/WSC" <StGardn1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:57:50 -0600
Here are a series of questions I've received from faculty lately.  I'm sure
that they have been brought up before on this list - so if anyone feels up
to providing me with some answers, perhaps you would want to send them to
me, rather than to the list (that's up to you).

Thanks,

--------
1.  If a teacher is doing an on-line class, whether off-campus or
on-campus, how many of their lecture notes must be notated as to where
their information came from?
2.  Music...how and when is it OK to make copies to be used temporarily,
ie. while waiting for copies that have been ordered, for a temporary use,
etc.
3.  When a faculty person has a booklet of printed information to be used
for a class and sold by the campus bookstore, how can materials be copied
for use in that class and kept legal.
4.  How about copies used from a book or music that is "out-of-print"...how
is this done to be legal.
-----------
1.  How much of a source can we copy?
2.  What would happen to me and WSC if there were some legal concerns from
the copyright holder?
--------
How does copyright pertain to the use of visual images published in print
or electronically (ads, illustrations, photographs), and art, etc.,  How
much of the image must be modified  in the making of art.?  What can be
appropriated and what can be used as source material without violation?

Dr. Stan Gardner
Wayne State College
Library Director
StGardn1@xxxxxxx