RE: Question About Music Copyright

Subject: RE: Question About Music Copyright
From: Edward Barrow <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:57:54 -0000
I am reluctant to comment on this, given my somewhat limited knowledge of
US law, but even so, it seems that Max Hyre's reply is, legally at least,
plain wrong.  Morally or ethically, or for that matter practically, see
below,  may be   different .

First, the Betamax case: that decided that it wasn't illegal to sell a VTR.
It said nothing about the legality of copying, but if I recall it did say
that there were legitmate uses of the machine, which could include
recording a broadcast for time-shifting purposes, which might be a fair use
under the fair use doctrine. Because there were legitmate uses of the
machine, the film producers didn't have a case against Sony for selling it,
even if most people actually turned out to use it for infringing. The film
producers would have to sue those individual consumers if they wanted to
put a stop that. (we had a similar but not identical case here in the UK,
CBS Songs vs. Amstrad, which concerned the sale of a twin-deck cassette
recorder with a facility to copy cassettes at high speed).. As I understand
it, some of the arguments in the Betamax case were used to defend the case
brought by the RIAA against the makers of the Rio portable mp3 device.

There is a piece of US legislation, the American Home Recording Act I
believe it is called, which does authorise analogue home taping. But I
understand that it strictly excludes the making of digital recordings. If I
recall, it was the fact that this legislation came after the Betamax case
that encouraged the RIAA to take up arms against the Rio; but the
uncomfortable fact (for them) remains that it is not unlawful to make or
sell a device that makes copies.

I think the answer to Ms Tedford's query, in the US as much as the UK, is
strictly, yes, it is an infringement to make these copies. The answer may
well be different in jurisdictions that have a well-developed private use
doctrine, but private use per se is not a recognised defence in most common
law jurisdictions.

But in the circumstances she describes, where the mp3 file is made for the
private use of a person who already owns a fully-paid copy of the original
(such as a CD), the damages that would accrue (and do not forget that
copyright infringement is a mere tort, not a crime) would be negligible,
and certainly not such as to merit litigation. The concern for the record
companies is that the practice, if widespread, prevents them getting
several bites at the cherry - it precludes the option of selling to one
customer a copy for the home; another for the car; another for the portable
player. I believe that they have, to a large extent, now admitted to
themselves that they have to abandon any hope of exploiting this type of
market. In meetings to discuss possible digital rights management systems,
I have heard representatives of the industry concede the notion of a
"personal zone", within which they would be happy for the consumer to play
and store the music in whichever format, and on whatever device,  they
choose.

I think even Mr Hyre would agree that it is almost certainly unlawful to
distribute mp3 files or other copies of the work to friends and relations;
it is much easier to see that this does undermine sales of the original.
 And while I broadly agree with Mr Hyre's characterisation of the purpose
of copyright, I would add that it also provides a mechanism by which many
people can each pay a little towards the cost of creative content. 70
minutes of music may cost, say $20 on a CD; but it costs a very great deal
more to produce 70 minutes of original music.

Edward Barrow
New Media Copyright Consultant
http://www.copyweb.co.uk/
***Important:   see http://www.copyweb.co.uk/email.htm for information
about the legal status of this email ***