In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:15:47 -0500

RIAA wins battle to ID Kazaa user
By Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com, January 21, 2003
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-981449.html

"A federal judge on Tuesday ordered Verizon Communications to disclose
the identity of an alleged peer-to-peer pirate in a legal decision that
could make it easier for the music industry to crack down on file
swapping."
*
Recording Firms Win Copyright Ruling
Judge Orders Verizon to Identify Internet Customer Who Used
Music-File-Sharing Service
By Jonathan Krim, Technews.com, January 22, 2003; Page E01
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24577-2003Jan21.html

"An Internet service provider must turn over the identity of one of its
customers suspected of illegally trading music files, a federal judge
ruled yesterday, handing the recording industry a powerful new weapon in
its efforts to crack down on what it considers digital piracy."
----------

DVD Kid's Acquittal to Be Appealed
By DOUG MELLGREN, Finflaw.com, Jan. 20, 2003
http://news.findlaw.com/ap/ht/1700/1-20-2003/20030120110003_48.html

"Norwegian prosecutors will appeal the acquittal of a Norwegian teenager
charged with digital burglary for creating and circulating online a
program that cracks the security codes on DVDs."

THE SUPREME COURT'S COPYRIGHT EXTENSION DECISION: A Mickey Mouse Ruling
By CHRIS SPRIGMAN, Findlaw.com, Jan. 20, 2003
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/commentary/20030120_sprigman.html

"Honesty requires that I begin this column with an embarrassing
admission: I am now 0 for 1 in predicting the outcome of Supreme Court
cases."