Lessig in the NY Times

Subject: Lessig in the NY Times
From: informania@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:42:01 +0100
Not having seen the Lessig piece, I can only react to Joe Esposito's
summary of the salient points. As a former head of the UK authors'
collecitve administration society, the Authors Licensing and Collecting
Society (ALCS), this looks to me like a tax on authors, and even an act
of expropriation. Contractually, in the UK at least, most of the rights
in most out-of-print works revert to the authors. This is not true of
all rights (typographic arrangement rights stay with the publisher) or
all categories of publications (textbooks are often a law unto
themselves).

Thus typically impecunious authors would have to fork out $50 a pop to
retain the rights to their own out-of-print works or forever lose/donate
them to the public domain. This doesn't seem right.

And what do you do with authors who have the misfortune to be both
out-of-print and dead? It is already a major chore for publishers and
collecting societies to pay estates amounts due to in respect of works
in print, let alone try to collect a tax from them. In practice, the
families of all dead authors would lose their rights to works that had
fallen out of print very soon. This proposed loss of rights by people
who have no likelihood of knowing that they are losing them strikes me
as unfair and, indeed, unethical.

Chris

Chris Zielinski
Director, Information Waystations and Staging Posts Network
Currently External Relations Officer, HTP/WHO
Avenue Appia, CH-1211, Geneva, Switzerland
Tel: 004122-7914435 Mobile: 0044797-10-45354
e-mail: zielinskic@xxxxxxx <mailto:zielinskic@xxxxxxx>  and
informania@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:informania@xxxxxxxxxxx>
web site: http://www.iwsp.org <http://www.iwsp.org>