RE: [Fwd: FW: IP and Copyright] by Charles

Subject: RE: [Fwd: FW: IP and Copyright] by Charles
From: Edward Barrow <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:30:26 +0100
I think that Alan Greenspan's comments are to be welcomed, if as nothing
else than a very belated recognition by financial regulators of the
enormous importance of digital content in the economy. His point that there
must be balance between creators and users is hardly new, but always bears
repetition.

Now, to Ryan Charles' point. Every established business is threatened by
change, and the change which threatens university presses the most is not
any expansion of fair use but the wholesale switch to digital distribution
of scholarly information. There isn't, yet, an established business model
for the digital world to replace the one based on book sales and journal
subscriptions which has done well since Gutenberg; though site licensing
works well in certain environments. The change to digital, which (despite
the hype of the last decade) has barely begun will, I suspect, be as
important to world history as the printing press was - and this is what
Greenspan has begun to realise.

University presses will have to adapt to the new environmnent if they are
to survive; I doubt whether a dependence on permission fees is a viable
long-term strategy. It may well be that in their present incarnation they
are already something of an anachronism. The old university presses of
Oxford and Cambridge were established when the commercial booksellers of
London failed to meet the requirements of academia. I can see echoes of
that, not in the activities of today's university presses but rather in
projects such as Paul Ginsparg's arXiv.

In fact, I find the whole fair use argument rather depressing; librarians
and publishers each argue with passionate conviction as a matter of great
principle, but their positions are absolutely predictable from what either
will gain. Far too much energy has already been wasted on the point, when
what we should be doing is trying to make a system that works well for
readers and writers, ignoring the vested interests of all the intermedia
ries.

Edward Barrow
New Media Copyright Consultant
http://www.copyweb.co.uk/
***Important:   see http://www.copyweb.co.uk/email.htm for information
about the legal status of this email ***