[Fwd: FW: IP and Copyright] by Charles

Subject: [Fwd: FW: IP and Copyright] by Charles
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:08:52 -0400
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FW: IP and Copyright
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:48:14 -0700
From: "Ryan Charles" <rcharles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>

How can I submit this to the listserv discussions?
thanks, Ryan

	Mr. Crews,

	I just read your note regarding Mr. Greenspans comments.  Do you not
	agree that a broadening of fair use could possibly serve as the undoing
	of small presses (university presses in particular)?  I am new to the
	copyright arena, having studied both law and business I see the tough
	compromise that is necessary within the industry.  Having worked for a
	university press I have seen how vital permission fees are to the
	ongoing operations.  It amazes me to hear librarians and educators
argue
	for more and more freedom to use copyrighted material.  To do so, in my
	opinion, would be the downfall of University Presses.  These are in
fact
	the same presses that educators run to in order to increase their
	ranking among colleagues through publication.

	I believe that the royalty fees are a small price to pay for such a
	service.  Where do you feel I am wrong?  Thank you so much for the
	continued intellectual conversation regarding this topic.  I really
	appreciate hearing other viewpoits and I believe that in the end all
	parties will out happy if cooperation is increased
	between the parties.

	Sincerely,

	Ryan Charles
	'03 JD/MBA