Re: Greenspan comments on IP

Subject: Re: Greenspan comments on IP
From: "Intellectual Property Virtual Scholar" <ipscholar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:56:32 -0500
Mr. Hyre raises some very important points.  Agree that the Greenspan
comments are astonishing (just the fact that he put IP high on the
agenda) and that a close look reveals that he is seeing the issues from
various perspectives.  The struggle for the balance between private
protection and user rights is central to IP law.  How one strikes that
balance makes all the difference.

Still, let's go to a more basic aspect of Greenspan's comments.  He is
an economist with a great responsibility regarding the national (and
world) economy.  One can argue endlessly the correct IP balance in that
arena.  Meanwhile, we in academia (well, I and many others) are
attempting to influence the national IP agenda, usually with a non-
ecomonic argument.  I may see the value of the work of educators and
libraries, and may well argue for fair use and other rights of use to
benefit teaching and research, but I am afraid that our arguments today
are overwhelmed by the more immediate and pragmatic concerns tied to
economic growth, jobs, revenue, and the like.  Much of the language of
IP coming from Washington (and sometimes the courts) is shaped by the
economic issues without (in my opinion) a different kind of balance--a
balance with the social issues.

My humble thoughts,

Kenny Crews
http://www.umuc.edu/distance/odell/cip/ip_scholar_crews.html