RE: question on use/DVD to VHS

Subject: RE: question on use/DVD to VHS
From: "Varvel, Virgil" <vvarvel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:07:42 -0500
Hi,

Thanks for the help.  I know that nonprofit has nothing to do with market
harm, it has to do with purpose though which is a fair use factor.  I just
wanted to correct myself if I misspoke before.

In this case, there is only a DVD version available.  I do not know why.  I
was not even told the title of the program, but could always ask.  This is
the only reason that I thought there might be an argument.  If there was a
VHS copy, buying it would have been my first recommendation as well.  They
were not planning on circulating the DVD original, only the VHS copy.

My first recommendation was instead going to be for the library to buy a DVD
player, especially since this could come up again in the future.  I like
your comment on that option as it added some more fuel to that argument.  I
think your last paragraph is very insightful.  It's always nice to hear from
an expert.

Take care,

Virgil Varvel
Vvarvel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx