Re: question on use/DVD to VHS

Subject: Re: question on use/DVD to VHS
From: "Intellectual Property Virtual Scholar" <ipscholar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:47:06 -0500
Virgil:  You are right in suspecting that you will have trouble fitting
the conversion into a specific statutory exception (such as Section 108
(b) or (c) for libraries).  You may well have a legitimate fair use
right, but we would need more information, and you would need to
reconsider some of your analysis (e.g., the fact that you are nonprofit
does not mean that your copying lacks any market harm).

Let me ask one simple and important question: Does PBS or anyone else
sell a VHS version of the program at what we might call customary
prices?  (I gather that you already are answering "no".)

If no, then that fact might be critical in the mix when you look again
to Section 108 or fair use.  Especially regarding fair use, you may
indeed have little or no market harm if PBS is not providing for the
market at all, and if you purchased the DVD, put it away, and are not
trying to exact "two usable copies" from one purchase.  (Don't forget
to evaluate the other factors.)

If yes, then buy it.  The availability weakens your claim of fair use.
Moreover, PBS prices are usually cheaper than the cost, bother, and
risk of calculating fair use.  Giving a little money to PBS is also not
a bad thing.

With the dropping price of DVD players (under $100), the time will also
come when buying a player will be cheaper than buying blank tapes,
analyzing fair use, and making the copies.

Kenny Crews