Eminem & Weird Al Yankovic

Subject: Eminem & Weird Al Yankovic
From: Frank Lowney <flowney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 19:57:32 -0400
I read with interest the news that Eminem has "disallowed" Weird Al Yankovic from parodying his video but not the song.

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/content.asp?y=2003&dt=0511&pub=Utusan_Express&sec=Entertainment&pg=en_08.htm

It is my understanding that parody is a fair use and does not require securing permissions from anyone. So, why are all the news accounts of this taking the tone that Eminem has a right to forbid parody?

Dr. Frank Lowney flowney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Director, Electronic Instructional Services, a unit of the
Office of Information and Instructional Technology,
Professional Pages: http://www.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction more accessible.