Copyright and Scholarship/the "Zwolle" Project

Subject: Copyright and Scholarship/the "Zwolle" Project
From: "Intellectual Property Virtual Scholar" <ipscholar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:43:16 -0500
Dear Friends:

I recently returned from a gathering now known as "The Zwolle Group."
Two years ago, a Dutch association of universities and libraries, the
SURF Foundation, launched a multi-national effort to address the
relationship between copyright law and access to scholarly literature.
For more information, see: www.surf.nl/copyright.

The project has evolved nicely, and on the website you can find
information about our two large meetings the city of Zwolle, the
Netherlands.  You can also find the early stages of developing and
sharing documents that can be helpful for drafting university copyright
policies and contracts between publishers and authors.  Watch for more
documents in the months to come.

The third "Zwolle Conference" is tentatively scheduled for February
2004.  The weather in Northern Europe can be a bit damp and gray that
time of year, so we will likely choose a sunnier venue!  Meanwhile, the
label "Zwolle" has come to represent an international effort to convene
diverse parties for developing innovative approaches to complex
copyright issues that arise is academia in all parts of the world.  We
welcome your thoughts about the website and the effort, and we hope
that you might be able to attend the meeting next February.  Stay in
touch with the website for developments.  Many thanks,

Kenny Crews
Indiana University
www.copyright.iupui.edu