RE: Panzer's posting on the Public Domain Enhancement Act

Subject: RE: Panzer's posting on the Public Domain Enhancement Act
From: Edward Barrow <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:27:58 +0100
I must admit that I paid only cursory attention to the draft Act but I had
the impression that certification was
only meant to apply to the last 20 years of the term, beyond the Berne
minimum, so I think one could argue that
it isn't incompatible.

I have much more difficulty with the existing registration requirement in
the US. Since the only redress available to the holder of an unregistered
copyright is simple damages, and given the high cost of litigation,
effective protection is denied to anyone who doesn't register. I don't
believe that the present two-tier system is compatible with Berne.

Edward Barrow
New Media Copyright Consultant
http://www.copyweb.co.uk/
***Important:   see http://www.copyweb.co.uk/email.htm for information
about the legal status of this email ***