Re: File Sharing Feature

Subject: Re: File Sharing Feature
From: Adam Kessel <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:43:03 -0400
This essay attacks a straw man. Advocates of peer-to-peer file sharing
much more frequently argue that file-sharing increases an artist's
overall visibility and potentially live concert attendance.  Only the
most successful of superstars make any money at all from album sales;
live shows are the bread and butter of nearly everyone else, and
increased exposure and popularity, via any medium, can only help live
show attendance.

The economics of being a recording artist has been described extensively
elsewhere (Courtney Love's essay comes to mind, but I could provide
others if need be).

--Adam Kessel

[***** removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]