RE: query

Subject: RE: query
From: "John T. Mitchell" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:59:51 -0400
My immediate reaction is that if playing the entire movie was lawful in
the classroom, then it should also be lawful to stream it to the class,
so long as it is just to the class.  My reason for saying so is that
playing the movie in class is a public performance, which is the only
copyright in issue here.  Streaming is also a public performance.  To
put it another way, the question is whether you can perform the work
publicly pursuant to Section 107 of the Copyright Act (leaving TEACH out
of the analysis).  If the answer is "yes," then it should make no
difference whether you perform the work to a group of 30 students
sitting in a classroom or the same 30 students logging on through the
Internet.  Both are public performances, no more, no less.

(I can't offer this as legal advice, but just my approach to the issue
you raised.)

John

John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com