query

Subject: query
From: David Kaufman <David.Kaufman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:55:57 -0700
Recently a faculty member at our university asked if we would stream
some videos.  Our policy has been to stream small portions of content
and limit their use to web enhanced courses located on our Blackboard
server.  Streaming is via proxy so none of the content can be
downloaded, only viewed by the student.  These segments are turned on
and off according to their occurrence in the faculty member's course
syllabus.  We believe our actions meet the requirements of TEACH.  Here
is the question.  This particular faculty member wants to stream a full
length Hollywood produced film.  It is a film regularly shown in a
traditional class.  Now that the course is web enhanced the faculty
member feels streaming the content does not violate fair use.  We need
an opinion on this.

David E. Kaufman
Interim Dean of Library Services and
Director of Academic Computing