Re: Scanning print articles

Subject: Re: Scanning print articles
From: Peter Hirtle <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:43:04 -0400
At 11:31 AM 8/4/2003 -0400, Valerie A. Lang wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have been asked to research copyright implications re: the following.
>Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
>Our Instructional Media Center is looking to scan hardcopy print
>articles that professors have on reserve, and post them on the
>Instructional Media Center's website.
>
>How could this play out in terms of copyright violation?

There are a number of good studies of this complex issue.  I suggest you
read Lolly Gasaway's very useful article on "Copyright Considerations for
Electronic Reserves" found in MANAGING ELECTRONIC RESERVES, edited by Jeff
Rosedale and published by the ALA in 2002.

You might also want to look at Georgia Harper's web site on the topic (at
<http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/IntellectualProperty/l-resele.htm>) and the
section on electronic reserves at the IUPUI copyright site at
<http://www.copyright.iupui.edu/library_issues.htm>.

My off-the-cuff reaction would be that the system you describe in your
message would be ok, so long as the other standard reserve guidelines were
followed (limited amount copied, subsequent use in the course requires
permission, etc.).

Peter

Peter B. Hirtle
pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx