TEACH Questions

Subject: TEACH Questions
From: Rosalind Tedford <tedforrl@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:08:13 -0400
As I mentioned before, I am heading a committee to develop formal
Copyright use policies for Wake Forest. I have been researching for a
week and now have two questions I'm trying to get straight in my mind
before our first committee meeting Friday. Any insight would be
appreciated. I'm sorry if these are elementary questions, I've just been
reading so much I don't know which way is up anymore!

*1. Performance vs. Display*: TEACH says you can PERFORM a reasonable
and limited portion of a dramatic work (i.e. movie) OR you can DISPLAY
an amount analogous to what you would in a live classroom setting. Our
faculty and others are focusing on the DISPLAY clause to say that if
they were going to show an entire movie to a class in one session, then
they can digitize that same movie for students to watch on their
computers. But there is clearly a difference between PERFORMANCE and
DISPLAYS, correct? PERFORMANCES are sequential displays of a portion of
a movie and DISPLAYS are non sequential displays of images from that
movie? This is the definition I found on the great NCSU TEACH Toolkit
site. (http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/scc/legislative/teachkit/overview.html)

Also, how are most of you interpreting the Reasonable and Limited
clause. Are you sticking with the 10% from the Fair Use Guidelines for
Educational Multimedia or do some of you see a larger portion as
permissible under TEACH?

*2. Digital Versions:* Do DVDs count as Digital versions? When TEACH
says you can digitize analog materials if no digital version is
available, do they include DVDs as a digital copy and if so, can you
then digitize the DVD (or reasonable and limited portions of it assuming
it is not copy protected) or not?

Thanks for all your help in the past, present and future on these issues!!

Roz

--
"Stupidity killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Rosalind Tedford
Information Technology Center Manager
Wake Forest University
Phone: 336-758-5910